Saturday, May 23, 2009

Painting No 5/40 of the Painting a Day 40 Day Challenge - Fred Bell with Eye Slits, Land West of Monches Farm, Fred Bell Concentrating

Fred Bell with Eye Slits
7 3/4" x 6"
Watercolor
$45
to purchase contact the artist

Land West of Monches Farm
7 1/4" x 5 1/4"
Watercolor
$45
to purchase contact the artist

Fred Bell Concentrating
6" x 7 3/4"
Watercolor
$45
to purchase contact the artist

Today was a fun day, the 5th day of the 40 day Painting a Day Challenge.
A friend of mine and fellow painter Fred Bell and I went out to Monches Farm near Colgate Wisconsin to a attend a Plein Air painting day organized by the Wisconsin Plein Air Painters Association WIPAPAP this Saturday,

May 23rd: Monches Perennial Farm!


see WIPAPA's blog posting here
It was an Ireland looking morning with a gentle mist.
We saw at least 15 Plein Air painters scattered around the grounds hidden under umbrellas and plastic sheets covering them and their work.
Even though Fred and I got a late start, arriving later than the others, we found a covered potting house with open sides from which we painted, protected from the drizzle.
Currently reading the Letter of Vincent Van Gogh, I decided to draw with ink and do washes in watercolor on paper soaked in a bath of water. I felt I was keeping in the spirit of the wet day.
I have been thinking of doing these figurative pieces of my art friends for sometime.
So here you have it, the famous "Fred Bell with Eye Slits".
When Fred went wandering off, I worked on a landscape piece of a scene to the west. I liked working in watercolor because I felt it captured the rain. However, because of the moisture in the air the pieces were slow in drying, creating a very lovely fluid effect.
The last painting of "Fred Concentrating" is indicative of his focus while painting.

Fred and I enjoy painting together from time to time.
If you go to Fred's blog site you can see the painting he made today.

What do you think of our projects for a day?
They were a delightful change of pace.

Posted by Picasa